Unit Clerk/Unit Assistant – Float Pool Per Diem Job in Taunton, MA at Steward Health Care
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Unit Information Secretaries work in the nursing area of hospitals. They are primarily the conduit for information management and processing, to ensure the operations of the unit. Actual interpretation of data collected may vary by type of unit.
- Coordinate unit activity, main point of contact between unit and transport, ancillaries, and physicians.
- Answers all calls by identifying department and name.
- Aware of new orders – transport and ancillary orders, if a test is added etc and communicates to the appropriate nurse.
- Maintains and updates physician pager numbers monthly for nurses, this will be essential during downtime.
- Report any telephone problems to communications and bump up the chain of command to Director/Supervisor.
- Maintain a list of phone numbers of physicians in the area.
- Monitors that all patients have proper arm bands on. Contact registration/admissions for replacement.
- Maintain stock of lab/x-ray requisitions for downtime.
- Report printer and computer problems to help desk/ put a ticket in and inform Director/Supervisor.
- Provides and tracks data: i.e. page to MD and response, discharge information etc as requested for flow of the department.
- Orders and maintains accurate par levels for inventories.
- Assists in maintaining a safe environment and intervenes appropriately.
- Utilizes the proper procedures and addresses patients’ concerns by notifying the charge nurse, Director/Supervisor.
- Initiates and tracks appropriate facilities, BioMed, housekeeping and IT related problems/replacements/request on work orders.
- Notifies BioMed department of malfunctioning equipment and arranges repair requests, and tracks equipment to ensure it is returned to the department.
- Copies charts and other materials as requested.
- Maintains and tracks compliance with BLS, TB, Fit testing and all minimal job requirements.
- Participates on committees as requested.
- Relays accurate messages to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
- Participates in quality improvement projects as requested by Director.
- Responds to staffing needs of the healthcare team by cross-training and floating to other units.
- Performs all other duties as required for improved function, and in meeting unit goals.
- Makes staffing calls to fill holes as directed.
Management of Time and Resources:
- Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame.
- Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities.
- Develops and maintains efficient working relationships.
- Is reliable in respect to attendance and punctuality.
- Recognizes the importance of team efforts and partners with others to achieve positive outcomes.
- Is part of a team effort to ensure quality services.
- Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
- Produces quality results.
- Continually strives to improve the quality of work.
- Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
- Monitors paper documentation to ensure dates/time/signatures etc are documented.
- Keeps nursing desk clean and tidy. Ensures appropriate books and manuals, forms etc are in the appropriate place and current.
- Where telemetry exists boxes are inventoried, checked on discharge that box is in slot.
- Organizes work spaces as requested by Director of the department.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Orients or precepts new personnel as assigned and acts as a resource for other professionals, patients and others.
- Knowledgeable of the units’ specific quality indicators.
- Actively seeks out unit and/or service related classes.
- Maintains compliance with hospital unit specific competencies.
- Attends staff meeting and/or reads staff meeting minutes to stay abreast of happenings within the organization.
- Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
- Demonstrates an understanding of relative hospital and all-departmental policies and procedures including safety issues.
- Ability to work independently with well developed organizational skills in order to prioritize tasks.
- Demonstration of flexibility and willingness
- Demonstrates verbal and written communication skills to effectively interact with staff through voicemail, email, etc.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer’s satisfaction.
- Ensures patients and family members are attended to in a caring and attentive manner.
- Responds to the needs of patients/family members in a timely manner and maintains a professional and friendly demeanor at all times.
- Works cohesively as a member of the Patient Care Team and takes a proactive role in ensuring the smooth and efficient operation of the unit.
- Greets all patients and provides them with the admission packet and basic information.
- Respects and supports a culturally diverse staff and patient population.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Morton Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care
About the Company
Company: Steward Health Care
Company Location: Taunton, MA