Technical Program Manager Jobs in Bellevue – Washington – USA at Discovery Communications
Title: Technical Program Manager
Company: Discovery Communications
Location: Bellevue – Washington – USA
Type: Full Time
Category: Creative Arts/Media
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand.We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring senior technical program managers to join our team. We focus on all aspects of streaming video: live and VOD pipelines, metadata transformation, server-side ad insertion, CDN integrations, playback services, video player backends, and AI/ML-based personalization. The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative partner that makes other team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to others.
1. Partner with key stakeholders at different Discovery brands to understand their current platform needs and anticipate future platform needs. You will need to gather and synthesize requirements from many different brands across a diverse set of geographies, timezones, and use cases into a consistent re-usable platform design that can serve them all.
2. In concert with engineering, create and review detailed functional designs that unambiguously specify all public behaviors and interfaces, provide test examples, enumerate and describe all edge conditions, and define operational success criteria and KPI goals, which will then be used by engineering for technical designs. Technical program management will provide the why and the what, while engineering provides the how .
3. Make sure your designs fit into the larger DTC platform, collaborating with other teams on consistency and cross-team integrations, leveraging existing patterns and strategies, and staying up to date on high-level roadmaps and challenges across the teams.
4. Work with engineering to translate functional designs into user stories, provide insights on the functional repercussions of particular technical choices and challenges technical choices when necessary, adapt functional designs to fit schedule constraints, and manage and prioritize the story backlog
5. Always be shipping: you will drive all processes around delivering the right software on time and on budget. You will participate in daily scrums and meta-scrums, pro-actively anticipate bottlenecks or resource contention, unblock development, triage issues, modify or rescope stories to reduce risk, and accept stories when they are done.
6. Regularly …