Public Information Officer Job in Leander, TX at City of Leander, Texas –
Summary: Develops the City’s communication plans and implementation strategies for marketing programs, news releases, publications, and information campaigns for a variety of communication media and serves as the media spokesperson for the City.
Essential Duties & Required Qualifications
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordinate with all city departments to write/design, edit and distribute new releases, website content, cable channel notices, newsletters, advertisements and other forms of communication.
- Serve as liaison for the City with various agencies including community groups, news and social media, city departments, city council and other government officials, private businesses, general public, by presenting programs to civic organizations and by responding to citizen issues.
- Develops and monitors department budget.
- Implement and evaluate advertising campaigns and programs and adjust accordingly.
- Responds to crisis situations and other requests for information from the news media; participates in on-camera interviews with the news media.
- Manages the information that is relayed through the internet.
- Consults with departments planning special events such as ground breakings, ribbon cuttings, press conferences, and city planned activities.
- Occasional travel and “after hours” maybe required
- Must comply with the City Personnel policy
- Responsible for managing the two way flow of information between the City organization and citizens to help them be more aware and understand city services, policies and to gather information from the citizens to allow the City to make citizen—responsive decisions.
- Seeks opportunities to inform and educate the public about the City and its programs and services through special print materials and other communication tools.
- Attend and participate in all Council meetings and other meetings with official bodies as directed by the Chief of Staff.
- Stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of public information.
- Perform such other duties as assigned.
Required Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in public relations, communications, journalism or liberal arts AND three to five years of related work experience; OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
Core Competencies & Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Customer Service: Displays courtesy and sensitivity. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations. Meets commitments. Responds promptly to customer needs. Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
Dependability: Responds to requests for service and assistance. Follows instructions, responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions. Commits to doing the best job possible. Keeps commitments. Meets attendance and punctuality guidelines.
Job Knowledge: Competent in required job skills and knowledge. Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills. Keeps abreast of current developments. Requires minimal supervision. Displays understanding of how job relates to others. Uses resources effectively.
Quality: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Displays commitment to excellence. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Applies feedback to improve performance. Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Puts success of team above own interests.
Cooperation: Establishes and maintains effective relations. Exhibits tact and consideration. Displays positive outlook and pleasant manner. Offers assistance and support to co-workers. Works cooperatively in group situations. Works actively to resolve conflicts.
Planning and Organization: Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently. Plans for additional resources. Integrates changes smoothly. Sets goals and objectives. Works in an organized manner.
Problem Solving: Identifies problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Develops alternative solutions. Resolves problems in early stages. Works well in group problem solving situations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations.
- Excellent written and communication skills, with emphasis on journalistic standards.
- Skill in computer software programs such as Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro video editing, and Microsoft Suite.
- Keep informed of new and emerging trends in communication media and technology. Must be familiar with all social media platforms used by local governments.
- Understand municipal government policies and ordinances.
- Delivering public presentations.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
Physical Demands & Additional Information
Physical Demands and Working Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Occasional exposure to weather extremes. Presence at fire scenes, hazardous material incidents, or crime scenes to talk to the news media. Potential threats from angry citizens who come into office. Exposure to highly-stressful crisis situations that require responding to the news media.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations
About the Company
Company: City of Leander, Texas –
Company Location: Leander, TX