Editorial Fellow, Gastro Obscura Job at Atlas Obscura Remote
Full Job Description
Gastro Obscura is hiring an editorial fellow to write about food and drink in a way that inspires wonder and curiosity about the world. As a Gastro Obscura fellow, you’ll write a mix of short articles and longer, more deeply reported pieces, and contribute to our global guide of places to eat and drink. On any given week, you may write about a Manhattan vineyard creeping up the side of a brownstone, Malaysia’s oldest coffee roaster, or how to make a Depression-era cake whose secret ingredient is tomato soup. You don’t need a background in food—just insatiable curiosity.
This entry-level position is paid, offers benefits, and lasts one year, from a start date of July 5, 2023.
Our fellowships are full-time jobs, but they also offer training and learning opportunities to writers who have not yet established themselves in the field. We give priority to newer writers, and candidates with more than three years of full-time, professional experience in journalism are unlikely to be considered. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
Gastro Obscura is part of the digital media company Atlas Obscura, which is remote-first. This means you can live and work from anywhere within the continental United States or Canada during the fellowship. At Atlas Obscura we also believe exploration is for everyone and encourage diverse applicants. We are committed to an equitable hiring process and an inclusive work environment.
- Brainstorming, researching, reporting, and writing stories about obscure or hidden sides of the food world (past and present)
- Contributing and editing writeups to our global guide to places to eat and drink, and creating themed lists based on existing content
- Pitching in across departments to provide editorial support
- Fellows also have the opportunity to pitch longform features, editions of Gastro Obscura’s native newsletter, and episodes of the Atlas Obscura podcast
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- Some applicable writing and journalism education or experience
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Curiosity and excitement about food and drink
- Passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission of instilling a sense of wonder in our audience
- Photo-research skills or food-photography skills are a plus
- A good way to describe Gastro Obscura’s recipe content is “cooking for nerds” (think: a 5,000-year-old energy bar). So being a nerd who likes cooking is a plus!
You’ll Get Noticed If:
- You’re an idea-generating machine
- You’re knowledgeable about food history or curious aspects of the food world
- You have a fresh perspective on the world
This position pays $45,000/year.
About Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura is an award-winning travel company founded in 2009. Widely celebrated for building the definitive, community-driven guide to the world’s hidden wonders, the company also creates insightful journalism, offers unique online courses, produces once-in-a-lifetime trips, and has published two New York Times bestselling books with more than a million copies in print. Atlas Obscura has been nominated for three National Magazine Awards, a James Beard Award, and three Webby Awards. In 2020, it was named one of Inc. 5000’s fastest growing companies.
Please apply here with a résumé, cover letter, and three writing samples (links or PDFs).
About the Company
Company: Atlas Obscura
Company Location: Remote