Data Engineer, Amazon Global Communities Job in Seattle, WA at Amazon
We are seeking an experienced Data Engineer. The Amazon Global Communities (AGC) Team is hiring a Data Engineer to drive self-service and automation to deliver insights through advanced analytics. In this role, you will primarily work on building and designing a large and complex data lake/warehouse environment. We are still in the nascent stage so you will be involved from design-to-execution phase. You will be owning data-management solution integrating data from several third-party services to generate real-time insights. As a Data Engineer, you will operate as a mix of hands-on builder, and influencer. You will work closely with engineers (SDEs) and data scientist contributing to the ongoing development and evolution of the social platform and sentiment analysis algorithm. A successful candidate will have a passion for innovation, interest in cutting-edge technology, and excitement about working in a high-impact domain.
AGC has launched a new digital initiative (social platform) for Amazon partners (entrepreneurs) to collaborate. The team’s success depends on our ability to create actionable insight from the data that our partners generate. The ideal DE candidate will have excellent analytical abilities, outstanding business acumen, high judgment, intense curiosity, strong technical skills, and good written and verbal communication skills. S/he will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, able to think big and be creative (while paying careful attention to detail), and enjoys working in a fast-paced dynamic environment. To be successful in this role, you should have broad skills in database design, be comfortable dealing with large and complex data sets, have experience with big data related technologies, while always applying analytical rigor to solve business problems.
The DE requires the ability to dive deep into large amounts of data, have a great business sense, curiosity and a proven ability to deal with ambiguity, and the desire to influence key strategic decisions with data-driven analysis and insights. Working within the business teams and collaborating with key stakeholders across the company, you will have the opportunity to design and implement features to enhance the experience of your customers.
Key Responsibilities Include:
1. Scope, design and build a large and complex data lake/warehouse environment.
2. Collaborate with software engineering (SDEs), product management, marketing and UX as a leader of quantitative analysis and where you develop solutions that utilize the highest standards of analytical rigor and data integrity.
3. Work on new and ambiguous business problems which have not yet been solved before and offer the chance to innovate and apply novel approaches to tackle these problems at their root while stepping back to understand the broader context.
4. Identify, develop, manage, and execute analyses to uncover areas of opportunity and present written business recommendations that will shape the future of AGC.
5. Report key insight trends, using statistical rigor to simplify and inform the larger team of noteworthy story lines that impact the business.
6. Build automated data solutions and dashboards to enable your team to self-service 80% of data needs, allowing you to focus on answering hard and ambiguous problems.
To know more drop a line to [email protected]
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, engineering or other quantitative field
- 3+ Years of Data Warehouse Experience with Oracle, Redshift, PostgreSQL, etc Demonstrated strength in SQL, data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
- Experience in maintaining data warehouse systems and working on large scale data transformation using EMR, Hadoop, Hive, or other Big Data technologies
- Data Warehousing Experience with Oracle, Redshift, Teradata, etc.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills (including ability to effectively use business tools such as Excel/Access, Tableau, SQL, etc.) and an ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, develop business cases, and complete root cause analyses
- Experience using at least one of Python, Java, Scala, Spark
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
About the Company
Company Location: Seattle, WA